13 September 2013

A Letter to my Niece

Dear Melia,
Today was your third birthday! I can't believe you are already 3; and I can't believe how little I know you.

I have thought of you every day since you were born. Some days I cry for you. Three years ago I tried very hard to make myself a part of your life. I offered help to your mom, I made things that would help your infancy, I was always on the lookout for things your parents might use with/for you, and I just hoped that I would be allowed to form a bonding relationship with you. I wanted to be the most perfect Aunt. I am sorry that I seem to have failed at that miserably; maybe that is part of why I cry. I know my tears will never make me a better aunt, and I know that there is a good possibility that you will never understand why I cry instead of just "stepping it up". I hope that someday, maybe, you and I can have a conversation that could clear that up.

But for now, I want to write for you what is real at this present moment. I have stirred up quite a bit of emotion in the family recently. I did not do this to make myself the center of attention. I did not do it to make someone else have a difficult life. I did what I felt has been necessary for some time. I tattled on your daddy. I am sorry, I know tattling is wrong and that you should always try to handle problems with your words and let other people's decisions be their problem, even if what they are doing is wrong. But sometimes you HAVE to tattle, even on someone that you are taught you should care about and trust unconditionally. Sometimes that person can be hurting you, touching you wrong, or telling you so many untruths about yourself that they make you think YOU are a bad person. NONE of these things should EVER happen. I want you to know, that tattling is GOOD if any of these things happen.

That is what happened with your daddy and I. While we were growing up he did all of those things to me, over and over. He never stopped when I wanted him to, and he always made me think that tattling would make things worse. I was so afraid that I did not tattle on him until 12 years after it stopped. Now there is nothing anyone can do to teach your daddy that what he did was wrong. Because of that, I feel horribly guilty. Which can be a bit confusing for me, especially because my mind tells me that I should be angry instead of guilty. I just can't help but think that if I had tattled on him sooner, he may have been forced into counseling, then he would know that there are certain boundaries that do not get crossed. Maybe he would think differently about the world in general; think that girls are just as good as boys, that emotions are just as valuable as money, or maybe that the world does not revolve around him. I may have helped him to become a better person if I had tattled on him instead of being so afraid and letting his actions continue. NEVER be afraid to tattle!

I was afraid of so many things, and one of them was that nobody would believe me. I will believe you. If you are ever being hurt and you want a safe place to talk, I will listen. I will believe you, and I will do my damnedest to make sure the hurting stops.

I always thought that what I felt was wrong. Your emotions are yours, you are right, you are perfect. We all have emotions for a reason, and you can never be wrong for feeling any certain emotion. Sometimes it is a lot more complicated than what you can identify right away, and if you need a safe place to talk, and figure out your deepest feelings, I will listen. 

I always thought I was alone. YOU are not alone. Even if I can't be an active part of your life now, I have a love for you that is like nothing I have ever felt. I will always be here for you, I will never force myself on you, but you are NOT alone.

I had a safe Uncle while I was growing up, and I have hoped so much that I could be that for you. I know there is still time, but I fear that your daddy is so mad at me for tattling that he isn't going to let me spend much time with you to build that relationship up. I just hope that you can someday see my love for you, and make a decision yourself that you want to spend time with me. I will be with you as fast as I can.

I can not imagine how many things I have missed out on, but I am grateful for the glimpses that I have had into your life and spending time with you. I even got to take care of you one day. It was amazing, you played with your cousins so well, we sang songs, threw toys, figured things out, and read stories. You were not thrilled to be away from your mom, but we got through that. I offered to take you more, but it never happened. 


Please know, that even though you are beautiful, that is not all there is to you. You are a spirited little girl, you have a wonderfully warm smile, and you are always willing to share a hug with your cousins. I hope that you keep your spirit as you grow, challenge what your daddy thinks girls should be, stand up for yourself always, and change the world with your love.

I hope I get to be a part of your life's journey at some point.

xo
Aunt Koren




7 comments:

  1. That was beautiful. :'(

    I hope that anyone that reads this post is able to see the courage it takes for an individual to bare their soul with the world. Koren is a brave women in what seems like a cold world sometimes, and I hope that others can find strength in themselves after reading this post. I'm proud of my friend, for who she is and how firm she is in her beliefs.

    Love you tons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have said it many times before & I will say it again & AGAIN! You are an AMAZING, BEAUTIFUL, STRONG women-both inside & out! You truly inspire me in so many ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. & you can't think of the "what if's" ... Using my case as an example: I said NO after a year & threatened him in return that I would tell on him & yes, the abuse stopped, but not his attention on me w/ his eyes & verbally in secrecy.

    BUT, I somehow blocked it all out after a while-kinda funny I had the strength to say NO, but then I just shut down. I didn't say anything until almost 10 years later, when he moved in to stay w/ us. I was 16, pregnant & maybe it was the hormones, or his creep factor still on high, but it all came flooding back.

    I first told my dad & then my g-ma... each one had their own reaction & neither was what I would have expected. This made family events very difficult & awkward-it was out in the open, but no one wanted to face it & I was left even more confused & self conscious than I was before. Everyone still interacted just as before, if not even more so at times. & so, I once again shut down & distanced myself from everyone.

    & the result: A younger generation was exposed, whether it was indirectly or not, I'm unsure... but the facts are that such behavior was happening once again & another little girl w/ a complicated childhood suffered my same fate. & STILL no one said a damn thing!!

    The person who abused me eventually showed his true colors in other dysfunctional & destructive ways... so he has out'ed himself as pretty much having some serious issues... but the damage has already been done.

    MY POINT: YOU can NOT blame yourself in ANY way. The variables are endless & out of your control.

    I look back & think, why didn't I just say something then?... or maybe I did & I blocked that out as well... & If so, why didn't I go to someone at school?! I know that answer tho, for the same reasons you speak of. I felt ashamed & embarrassed. Scared & uncomfortable.

    But then I think of what might have happened if I would have said something. & well, it most likely would have destroyed my family at that time. & where might I have ended up as a result of the adults in my life making excuses for such unspeakable acts?! & I was not the only one who could have been taken away, but my little brother too. & we were finally in the permanent custody of our father & out of the hands of the neglectful & abusive alcoholic women who gave birth to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this doesn't come off as me simply ranting about my own issues...

    All I'm saying is... Don't get sucked in by what COULD have happened... It's self destructive. You were a child being taken advantage of... it's as simple as that! & there is NEVER an excuse. & you should never ever feel ashamed.

    & you can bet that those who ignored your cries are more ashamed of themselves than you ever could imagine. If anything, that is what their true problem is w/ it all. You out'ed them in a way too. & now they have to face their own demons.

    & from experience, older generations have no problem w/ 'brushing things under the rug' ... It's what was drilled into many of them as kids. It's twisted, but we can't fully blame them. Everyone handles things differently. You took the road less traveled-be proud of yourself :)

    Finally, people tend to eventually come around. They need time to process. & you can bet others that have been allowed to be more active in Melia's life will be watching her a little bit closer.

    All we can hope is that she doesn't fall victim before action is taken. & that if God forbid it does happen, because of other's being aware of the past... Because of YOU, it sure as hell will not go on until she is practically a women. & she will thank YOU! & the bond you two will share & the comfort she will receive in return of knowing she's not alone will be forever unbreakable!!! I'm so proud of you sister!! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xo I am proud of you too! My point with this post was not the what if's so much as bringing to the attention of OUR generation that this CAN NOT remain an issue we sweep under the rug. It is very real and deserves action. I doubt my niece will be abused by my abuser, but statistics are not on her side to never experience abuse and I do not know how it would be handled by anyone else. I only know what I would do if I were to find out ANYONE in her life was being abusive to her.

      Delete
  6. I'm loving the positivity! It can be hard, ESP putting yourself out there to prove a point & raise awareness. You know my feelings on it... & I think you will see yourself slowly healing in ways you never expected simply by standing up.

    I'm glad you aren't dwelling on the what if's ... I have been there & well... Thank God I had my love. You have an amazing man, you know this, we all see it in both your eyes & his-It's undeniable! Cld you imagine the alternative :(

    ReplyDelete